Thousands of people every day are registering their emotional support animal online, but what are they really getting for their money? The shocking answer is the majority of these people are getting absolutely nothing. If you only read one sentence in this article, read this: you NEED to talk to a board-certified doctor licensed to practice in your state to see if you qualify for a legal ESA letter. If you didn’t talk to a doctor, you are being sold an unenforceable document that will not get your pet on an airplane or into your apartment building for free. Over the past few months we have reviewed dozens of websites touting cheap ESA doctor’s letters and just about all of them are scams. While we don’t think it is our place to list which specific companies are scams, here is a list of things to look for to make sure you aren’t being taken advantage of:
Things To Watch Out For
- Instant ESA letter approval – If all you did was answer a few questions online and then are instantly approved for an ESA letter you are being scammed. You must talk to a board-certified doctor licensed to practice in your state, on the phone or in person, in order to find out if you qualify for an ESA letter.
- Shockingly cheap ESA letter – Quite simply, if it is too good to be true, then it probably is. Building a large network of licensed, high quality doctors covering just about every state is both time consuming and costly. These cheap ESA letter companies are cutting corners, typically having you speak to an overseas doctor not licensed to practice in your state, or just generating you a letter with a fake doctor’s name/signature on it. Be careful!
- Registration only websites – If the website “registers” your pet as an emotional support animal, but doesn’t actually have you speak to a doctor, your pet is not eligible for the benefits of an ESA letter (airplane and housing). A certificate with your dog’s name on it is not a substitute for a doctor’s letter.
- Multiple year ESA letters – ESA letters NEED to be renewed every year by talking to a doctor. Any company selling you a multi-year or lifetime ESA doctor’s letter is scamming you.
- Take your pet anywhere claims – An ESA letter gives your pet the right to fly in the cabin of an airplane and live in “not pet policy” housing with no pet security deposit. Any claim beyond that is a lie. You cannot take your pet into public places like restaurants, theaters, libraries, etc. Only service animals have the freedom to go just about anywhere with few restrictions.
How To Make Sure Everything is Legal
If you want to be 100% confident that you are getting a legal ESA letter from a licensed doctor in your state then request a free consultation from our team. We charge $179 for a doctor letter (if you qualify), slightly more than the discount competitors out there, but you can rest assured that you are receiving a real legal document that will get your pet on a plane and into your apartment. In addition to this, if you have any issues enforcing the doctor’s letter our internal legal team will handle the matter free of charge.
If your pet is your best friend and source of support, do not put them at risk with unenforceable, fake ESA letters. Avoid being told at the gate that your dog cannot board the plane or having your landlord force your dog out of the building by getting an ESA letter from a credible company like US Support Animals. We may not be the cheapest service out there, but remember, you get what you pay for.